Sunday, July 26, 2009

Summer Vacation

I took a vacation to mountain bike in Durango, CO. Derek had to work and couldn't join me so I went to visit my friends Matt and Katri. Matt owns Hermosa Tours and we spent the week riding high country singletrack in the mountains surrounding Durango.

The riding in that area is steep and technical with high altitude - some days were up around 11 & 12,000 feet. I took care to drink lots of water and the altitude didn't really bother me that much. The weather was near perfect and I had a blast. Most days we took the Hermosa Tours shuttle up mountain gravel roads and then spent another hour or two climbing and descending as we circled the mountain ranges. At the end of each day I was treated to an awesome long downhill.



















4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet 1-track! We are planning to have Matt shuttle us up to Kennebec Pass as a stop-over to our final destination - Crested Butte!

Pat (in AZ)

Heidi said...

Pat - Just one day in Durango? Kennebec is a lot of work but worth it!!!!

Unknown said...

after looking at those pictures I think I would pick Durango over Bend

Pat (in AZ) said...

We have done many rides in Durango over the years but never the Kennebec Pass ride. We've never been to CB so that is where we want to spend most of our trip...

Pat