Saturday, May 27, 2006

My Cycling History

My first year in Sport was a blast. Most of my races were at Snow Summit in Big Bear, CA. I continued to win and have fun. I got my first sponsor that year and was racing for Mission Cyclery, a local bike shop back in San Diego.


The best part of racing was the social aspect. I met a ton of great people that I still visit, vacation with, and talk to today. I got the chance to ride in places I ordinarily might not.

Me riding the loop after Cocktail Rock on San Juan.




50 YR Trail in Tucson









Orange County Mts.



At this point I was still just riding for fun without any real idea how to properly train for racing. I saw a flyer for the Brian Head Epic 100 race and decided I'd try that. So, living out in east county San Diego, and working downtown, I started commuting by bike to work. It took me 1:15 each way for the 24 mile ride. I would lock my bike downstairs in the parking garage, take a shower and be at my desk each morning by 8. I have some great stories and memories of those commutes. San Diego is a very beautiful place to ride a bike. Something about the smells and sights of early morning just fascinate me. It's the old lady out watering her flowers in Allied Gardens that would wave to me as I spun by, the oniony smell of the bagel shop in Hillcrest, the game of timing myself up Bachman Hill and just knowing that I could maybe take a second off, crusing through Balboa Park and seeing the beautiful flowers and buidings...it was everything. The ride home was always more aggressive. hehehehe Getting 48 miles a day AT LEAST, was helping me do what they call "base miles". On top of this, I would do two high intensity rides each week, and pack on long miles on the weekends. I was on my way to the Brian Head Epic 100!

1 comment:

Arleigh Jenkins said...

heidi has a blog. What is the world coming to??

I look forward to motivating post to get me on my bike riding