Monday, April 21, 2008

My plan for Sunday was to ride some super fun trails on Mary's Peak while Derek raced. But, it was snowing hard in Blodgett on Saturday afternoon and the trails I was going to ride are up above 4,000 feet so I was left without a plan. Well, what the hell, I decided to race. That's right, I haven't done an xc race in a few years and I don't even train anymore, but I figured what the heck...I'll just go ride with a bunch of friends who are racing! hahahaha. I may have still been influenced by the beers I'd had the night before!

It was snowing when we arrived at the race Sunday morning and it was very chilly. I didn't even bother warming up because I was too cold. How's that for preparation? We lined up to start and BAM we were off. The race is sick and cruel in that it starts with a giant climb that is 27% grade in at least one part. I climb up that at my own little pace but still pass a couple of my competitors. I'm not sure how many are ahead of me, but I climb on. The singletrack sections are all slippery mud and roots and some spots are just not rideable. I jam through the first big loop and am feeling good. I'll skip through all this race mumbo jumbo and leave it at this. I sucked in the mud on the last lap and got passed by another pro. She put at least a minute on me on the last section of singletrack that I had to run/slide down. I think I got 4th. Not sure. I had fun and for me now, that's all that matters.

No comments: