Thursday, August 07, 2008

20 miles 6000' of climbing

Curly Lake is in the middle of nowhere heavy Grizzly country. The elevation of the ride starts high and goes higher with tons of difficult singletrack climbing with amazing views. It was a tough 6 hours of riding at elevation but well worth it.


The mosquitos were thick so despite the high temps and me wearing bug spray, I had to put on my rain jacket to keep them off my arms.

Hour 2 of the climb.



We finally climbed above the treeline.



Fun, challenging rocky switchbacks awaited.



I'm a wee little speck on the trail.











Long long day of riding and the last 1 mile or so was in POURING rain. No bear sightings and only 2 hiker sightings. This is truly considered an "epic" ride and I would recommend it to anyone who likes remote riding that is really really hard. Derek beat me with the mosquito bite count. I'm pretty sure he came out with at least 50 and I maybe got 10.

1 comment:

Chandra said...

Wow, amazing trip! It makes me especially sad to see now... :(