Saturday, August 23, 2008

One Day You're Fine, the Next You're Not

All these vacation posts were fun to look back at. We love to travel and ride in new places. However, the second to last day my right leg started to feel some strain again. It felt like just a really tight muscle that needed to be stretched..it kept kind of cramping up. We actually ended our vacation early and headed for home. Monday when we got back I went to the doctor because my lower leg was swelling. They diagnosed it as a re-injury to my calf/hamstring but sent me for an ultrasound just in case. Turns out I have deep vein thrombosis (blood clot). So, I spent two weeks giving myself injections into my stomach twice a day of a "blood thinner", as well as taking a pill each day. Also with that, I've been going to the anticoagulation clinic twice a week so they can monitor the levels of medicine in my blood. It's scary. I'm done with the injections and left with just taking Coumadin for possibly 6 months.

I'm back to riding some now that my muscle has healed, and swimming is still a strong part of my exercise.

One Day You're Fine the Next You're Not.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like 'old age'... ;)

Pat in AZ

Chandra said...

Take care of yourself...and say hi to your friends from the anti-coag unit at the Senior's center! Hee hee hee

Heidi said...

Seriously, of the 6 or so times I've been there, I'm the youngest by at least 40 years!