Sunday, January 21, 2007

Goal accomplished

I've mentioned it as a goal of mine before...to skate ski the Great Nordeen course. Saturday I accomplished that goal. I had never before skied that far - 36k. The course was challenging for me since I'm not good at downhills. It starts at Sunrise Lodge up at Mt Bachelor and immediately dives down into the forest on some very twisty trail. I crashed twice on some steep hills (my snowplow wouldn't work because there were berms and my skis couldn't fit to plow). On one of the hills I stopped at the top and just stared down it...totally intimidated and pretty scared. It took me a few minutes to get up the nerve and then I finally went for it..and crashed. The course had quite a bit of uphill to it - not steep ones, but loooooong gradual ones. It was absolutely gorgeous weather out, perfect snow, and we had a good time. We stopped a few times to rest, eat, and for me to take pictures. I am so happy we did it, I had a fabulous time and got a great workout.

Cate is happy to be out here!



Blue skies and plenty of sunshine.



Derek takes a break.



Derek crosses under the highway.



We're getting farther away from our starting point.



Sunday my shoulders we sore but when I looked outside the sky was somewhat friendly looking and the roads were dry so I hopped on my cyclocross bike. I rode around for awhile enjoying the tolerable temps, then ran some errands, then rode to the pool. After about an hour of laps I was feeling completely exhausted.

I've been sitting here warming the couch for a couple hours now. Ahhhhhhhhhh Monday is almost here.

1 comment:

Chandra said...

LOL, I put my comment on the wrong post! :) This is what I said:
Wow, good job Heidi! Looks like you had a great time. Hope you didn't tweak your knee crashing.