Monday, February 18, 2008

3 Days of Outdoor - lots of pics

Amazing 3 day weekend! I just can't get enough of being outdoor. Saturday we had a lot to do around the house so we ended up going for a twilight skate ski. Conditions were flat out fast. So fast that on the long downhill I was 90% out of control and feared that if someone happened to be coming up I would not have been able to get out of the way. It's that feeling of being so close to the edge that if a butterfly landed on your shoulder you'd plunge off the cliff.

I swear, there is no color manipulation whatsover in these photos, the sky was that colorful.







Sunday was sunny as forecasted so we grabbed the mountain bikes and headed to Horse Ridge. I'd heard rumors the night before that it was rideable since they don't get as much snow out east. Sure enough, the dirt was tacky all along the fence line heading up. We hit the section of paved climb and pushed on further, skeptically looking at the increasing amount of snow clinging for dear life to the shaded side of the butte. Sure enough, the trail offshoot was too gunky to ride.



I'm not a stranger to mud, and the soil at Horseridge sure isn't in much danger from being ridden while muddy, but I knew it wouldn't be that enjoyable. So, we turned back and headed to the lower loop which was dry. It felt so great to get out in the crystal clear air with the sun shining hot Riding my bike is clearly where I belong and it brings me so much joy. The fast swoopy downhill singletrack through the canyon, had me twisting, turning, and grinning.





Monday we rode along the Crooked River Canyon. That canyon is one of the most beautiful stretches of road in Central Oregon and I'm pretty certain I've been on ever stretch of road in this area. Giant dramatic rock walls stretch up from the road and tower high above. The fly fishers were out in full force and a couple waved to me from the river as I spun past. Clearly they enjoy this area as much as I do. How could you not? We rode about 25 miles up past the reservoir and then turned around and came back. After 2.5 hours and about 50 miles we were back at the start. It's good to know that after pretty much not riding for a couple months and spending time skate skiing, snowshoeing, swimming, and rowing instead, that my legs are able and available for whatever I want to do.









Prineville Reservoir:

3 comments:

Rockin' said...

The Haystack Butte area was a bit drier, but not much.

Bike while you can...winter will be back.

Steve

Keeneye said...

Beautiful photos! I'm stealing the top one to print out and hang on our Bulletin Board at the restaurant. Thanks for sharing!

Brent said...

nice
Beats rainy california.
Cant wait to get back home.