Monday, March 10, 2008

Mudballs!

It was a beautiful weekend for riding so I did just that. Derek is still sick so I went out to Horse Ridge and rode a couple loops out there. It was nothing out of the ordinary, just good old fun singletrack riding with lots of little rock sections thrown in for good measure. The upper shaded part is still a bit sloppy and the oozing squishy sound when I rode through a couple of the mud spots actually made me smile because I remembered my childhood dirt playing days.

Growing up in Washington State gave me plenty of opportunities to get dirty..so did growing up with an older brother. I may have told this story before, but I’m going to do it again. We lived on a property with a fair amount of land, surrounding by a giant wooded area on two sides. During growing season we cultivated our own vegetables and I have lots of memories of digging up potatoes, carrots, and beets, and picking green beans and peas. Anyway, back to the mud. One fine day my brother and I, along with a few neighbor kids I think, decided we were going to make mudballs. We went out back and scooped handfuls of great mud and packed them with drier dirt into baseball sized mudballs. Once we had built up our arsenal of ammo we proceeded to run down the slope and throw them at the side of the neighbors pale yellow house. Mud stains. We spent some time later that week repainting the side of her house.

No comments: