Thursday, August 03, 2006

Last night started innocently enough with a ride up COD to Grand Slam. I made all the rock sections no problem and was rounding the last corner...not going terribly fast, when my rear derailleur scratched by the side of a tight rock section and pushed into my spokes, breaking my hanger on it's way. I knew the sound and pulled over, sickened. We had just put a brand new SRAM chain on so I didn't want to break it to make a singlespeed. So, after assessing the situation, I just took the chain off, duct taped the derailleur to the bike, and coasted/skootered/pushed the bike back who knows how many miles. It reminded me of the time quite a few years back when I was riding in the Toads Festival in Orange County. The route was a ride up to Main Divide, I think up Holy Jim and down Trabuco. Anyway, there were two guys doing it on chainless bikes. Only, I wasn't stupid enough to be doing this on purpose.

A pic of Derek riding. The lighting is weird back in the trees so this one isn't great.



My poor hanger.



Luckily, I have a spare that DEAN sent me with the bike. So, I'll be back up and running, er, riding in no time!

While Derek taped up my derailluer I practiced with the zoom.






I arrived back at the car with tired arms and legs with sweat dripping down my face. At least I got a good workout.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heidi,

You need a 'Hanger Banger' (http://www.northshorebillet.com/main.html - click on display case, then hanger banger) I've got one on the Motolite ever since I had to replace 5 (@ $25 a pop!) in one years time!

Plus... it's a cool looking chi-chi!

Pat