Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Hell On Wheels

I went to Webcyclery movie night last night at McMenamins. Hell on Wheels was playing. It's about the 2003 Tour de France and it follows mainly one team through the 3 week stage race. It's tough because two of the guys that star in it have come forward now and admitted to doping in the past (not specifically in 2003). So they are cheaters. But, it's insightful to watch what they go through over the race; their feelings about racing and the pressures of the sport. They doubt themselves, they are scared they can't win or do the job they are paid to do. I'm not condoning doping, but the movie is still very good.

I watch the Tour every year regardless of the doping allegations, the lack of Lance Armstrong, Ivan Basso, or Jan Ullrich. I watch it because no matter what, that sport is amazing. What other sport can you get that close to the competitors, participate in on the same roads they do, go to for free, and see amazing countryside? It's a tough sport and I love it.

1 comment:

Chandra said...

Me too! I really miss being able to watch it. When I live in Canada, the channel it's on is on basic cable...I got so used to that! :)