Sunday, July 01, 2007

Day of Solitude

I originally thought I'd have to work part of the day so I declined all ride invites. I stayed late last night though and turns out there wasn't much I was going to need to do Sat. So, by the time I got done it was too late to make ride plans so I went solo. I don't mind riding solo. I wanted to do something different - to explore a bit. I headed out of Bend and rode up Farewell to Forest Service Rd 370 and took that all the way up to Three Creeks Lake and back. Three Creeks Lake is located in a glacial cirque, below Tam McArthur Rim, which was probably last occupied by glacial ice about 13,000 years ago during the Canyon Creek advance of the Cabot Creek glaciation. The day was perfect with sunny blue skies. I like being off the beaten path and I had a great ride, though it was a bit shocking to find quite a few people out there at the lake. There were cars everywhere.

It was very green up in the forest.

trail

370


Views like this make climbing worth it.

farewell

farewell2

I'm not sure what the hell is going on here. Looking to the right on my way up towards the lake I saw a big rock pile and decided to go inspect. Sure enough, it's just GIANT piles of rock all together in one little area.

rkcpile2

I climbed up for a better view. Weird.

rockpile

This is the first peak of the rim that I got.

small lake

Then I got closer.

mountains_WEB

I sat on the "beach" and ate my MOJO bar for lunch then climbed back on and headed back home.

bike_WEB

I love the smell of ferns and stopped to get a big wiff right here.

trail2_WEB

1 comment:

Chandra said...

Wow, looks like it was an amazingly beautiful ride! Sigh, I'm SOOOO BORED! :)