Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Chamonix Part 1

Our next adventure was to stay in a chalet in Chamonix and ride with guides daily. 1050 was the tour company and at first I was ambivalent of the whole tour thing because I always fear they won’t go as fast as I want, or as far as I’d like. This operation rocks and I totally recommend them. The chalet is great, they serve you breakfast, fix you a giant sub sandwich for lunch, cake and tea upon return from your rides each day, and dinner with wine each night. The guides are very good riders, in fact, several of them race the Grand Raid Cristalp each year and finish VERY high. They were always faster than me on the descents, and most of them climbed my pace or faster so I was stoked.















Sunday we did a nice break-in loop that had a bit of everything. I didn’t take many pictures because it was overcast and drizzly.





I would describe the riding as pretty technical with root and rocky sections everywhere. Lots of the climbs were fireroads with steep switchbacks, or singeltracks with challenging roots and obstacles. 1050 doesn’t allow beginners and it was a good thing. This was some of the most technical riding I have ever done. We started at around 10:30 each day and didn’t get back to the chalet until 4 or 5 usually, so these were full day adventures.

No comments: