Monday, September 25, 2006

I'm allowed to what?

After my ride Sunday I decided to stop by the pool and check out the newly started water polo pickup games. I've never played water polo before and I thought it might be fun. I miss ball sports. My knee hurts when I jump and run so basketball, soccer, and volleyball are all out. This is a coed thing every Sunday evening and I was hopiing I wouldn't be the only female. Thankfully, I wasn't. I jumped on in and announced I had never played before and had no clue so a couple of them came over and told me to watch them underwater. You have to do this thing they call eggbeaters. It's the motion of your legs and when done correctly by pushing downward with the side of your feet, it keeps you afloat and upright without moving back and forth and up and down like normal water treading can. It's really a difficult motion to get the hang of but I managed to not drown. We did some drills and I was already getting totally winded. I need to work on my eggbeater because I am working twice as hard and moving my legs twice as fast as everyone else just to stay above water. TOTALLY GOOD WORKOUT. Game time.

We split into teams and they start to go through some basic rules with me. Rule #1 that surprized me. "You are allowed to, in fact, encouraged to: lean on, hold onto, grab, pull on the suit of, and generally harrass the player you are guarding." Wow...this could be fun.

I even scored 2 goals!!!!

I hope to get back out there next week.

No comments: