Sunday, September 10, 2006

The next day was going to be a mellow ride day after our monster climbing route the day before, but we woke to perfectly clear skies with views of the Jungfrau mountains that we couldn't resist. So we consulted our maps and picked a route out that would take us up to Klein Sheidegg. The ride to Grindelwald was challenging in itself. The path kept leading us up and down, up and down.

We had our customary bread and cheese for lunch, then set off for the real ride. That afternoon we climbed forever. It was essentially 3000'+ of climbing over roughly 7.5 miles. I am proud to say that the I think I only walked one little waterbar section and that I did indeed ride all of the last section on the graph WITH my backpack and rack and heavy bike. I thought I would die at the top, but obviously I am still alive since I'm writing this.

This graph shows our after lunch ride to the top.













These horses actually came down the hillside to check us out. They were very friendly...walked right up to me and were sniffing my bike rack.



Here is the entire Jungfrau mountain range. The top of Europe.



At the top we had the goats to contend with. They came flocking around us, trying to steal the peanut round cookies from Derek's bike rack! I guarded those with my life!




The singeltrack down from Klein Sheidegg is amazing. It criss cross a wider path that goes down to Wengen as well.



Wengen is another walking town. It sits opposite Murren across the Lauterbrunnen Valley. So, we rode all day long in a giant circle, only to be across on the other hill from Murren. Accessible only by cable car from Lauterbrunnen (or walking or cycling) - it is traffic free and well known for its pure mountain air and known for being the home of the International Lauberhorn Downhill ski race.





We ended our day with a giant Italian feast and rested our weary legs. At the hostel, the owner gave us a nice big double room for the same price as a dorm bed since she wasn't busy. We even stored our bikes in the dining room. NICE!

No comments: