Sunday, September 24, 2006

Friday was our last day of riding and it was a stellar ending to a great vacation. We rode up to one of the glaciers, the Glacier d’Argentiere. We rode all the way up to the valley to the lift and then took it part of the way up the mountain. The rest of the way…we climbed! It was another brutal climb with loose babyhead rocks and plenty of grueling gravel. One of the guides actually turned to me and said, “I hope to hell you guys want to see a glacier.” Hahahah I couldn’t believe the absolute beauty when we got to the glacier though. Oh my god, that is easily one of the most fascinating things I have seen on a ride. As we ate lunch, pieces of the glacier would come crashing down in spectacular fashion. It sounded like dynamite going off as it resonated down the mountain. Apparently those glaciers are going to continue to melt away, and in 25 years it is estimated that they will be gone. That is a real tragedy.













The descent started out very technical with giant rocks comprising the trail and plenty of danger.









Then it hit the steep ass singletrack with more rocky, stepped switchbacks that required a lot of finesse. I am proud to say I mastered that trail and had very few dabs. The gravity dropper worked like magic and I was in love with the trail. We ended on another very cool section and bam, that was it. I was sad to be done riding there, really sad.

Mountain biking has taken me to many places I wouldn’t otherwise visit, and shown me parts of the world that I truly appreciate. Through all the blood, sweat and tears I have been continuously impressed with what this sport has done in my life.

No comments: