Monday, April 30, 2007

Bear Springs Trap

30+ miles of mountain biking beauty. Sunday was the Bear Springs Trap mountain bike race up by Government Camp. I rode the course before/during the race and had a great ride despite being a little paranoid. I mean, the name of the race is BEAR Springs Trap and I was out in the forest by myself for 3 hours. The weather was perfect riding weather, not too hot, not cold. The pristine singletrack was a treat. The trails in that area aren't documented very well so I don't think they are ridden all that much. The singletrack is rocky with roots everywhere. Derek was doing well until about an hour into the race when, after descending some switchbacks, he went to pedal back up the road and discovered he had lost his chain! He abandoned his bike and hiked back up the trail looking for it. Luckily he found it and was able to get it back on his bike and finish.

Here are a few of the pics I took.

I tried to get too artsy on this one and don't like it now.


Everything up there is soooo green from the recent snowmelt.



It was hard to focus on the tight downhill switchbacks here with views of Mt Hood begging to be looked at.



Yes, all those rocks are the trail.




3 comments:

Unknown said...

Outstanding pictures - what a beautiful place. It makes going to work 5 days a week worth it when you've got weekends and places like that to look forward to.

Anonymous said...

I love the pics too!!

Brent said...

nice.. looks like a place to put on the future map to ride on once i ride everything here!