Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Puppy trouble

I'd almost venture to say that most people have had a puppy at one time or another in their life. My friend got a yellow lab - he's about a year old now, but still having "behavior issues". Here was her email the other day.

"Does Charlie dig? Well, the simple answer is - yes, Charlie digs. Unfortunately its not that simple, Charlie doesn't just dig. Charlie digs under the fence to come and go from the yard, he digs holes to lay in and holes to put things in, he digs holes to uproot tree roots and holes to trip small children, his hole placement has no particular rhyme or reason, they just appear mid-yard where once there was flat, grassy ground. He also chews. Charlie chews tree branches and bush branches right off the plant, he has been known to uproot and completely destroy hardy shrub/trees. He chews peat moss bags into tiny shards of plastic wrap which lay all over the yard, Charlie chews children's sweatshirts of which bits and pieces lay all over the yard, He litters the yard w/ chewed pieces of trees and shrubs that lay in holes that he has dug. Charlie has strewn unopened skeins of yarn across the yard, he has chewed up plastic children's toys and stray socks that then lay in the yard in various stages of chewed-ness. Butter wrappers that once were resting unobtrusively in the covered garbage can have appeared - chewed into hundreds of tiny pieces - all over the backyard, apparently beamed Star Trek-like out of said (firmly closed) garbage can. We need Cesar Milan!"

That had me laughing pretty hard at work the other day.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've always wondered why labs are so popular. They are really hard dogs to raise.

Anonymous said...

Hello Heidi.. I read your blog about puppy trouble. I have a 1 yr old chocolate lab that is a handful but doesn't seem nearly as bad as your friends. I downloaded a training guide on the internet specific for labs.. if you email me with you or your friends email address I can email the training guide back.(Hooples3@aol.com)

perhaps it will help. The guide seemed very handy, at some points it may be extreme but all the points made in it made sense...

Karianne said...

Hey H,

I wanted to let you know that we got a double bike trailer/stroller this week. (Chris is the biker and I am the walker. Of course, Bec and Ivy get the riding privelege) Isn't it funny that all the while I was thinking, "I can't wait to tell Heidi, she'll be so happy!"

Funny stuff. and Happy Easter!

Heidi said...

Thanks for the tip George, I'll let her know about the guide. I know she already has about 10 books on training and the breed.

Karianne - those strollers are INTENSELY popular here. Enjoy!