Monday, February 05, 2007

Lather up

It was "warm" this weekend so I went riding both days, though Sunday was nicer than Saturday, I had a better ride on Saturday. We went out to Smith Rock and rode all kinds of trails, had so much fun exploring new areas. We really are fortunate in Bend that we live in an area with so much somewhat undeveloped land. You can still feel like a settler - out explorin' and stuff. Granted, I'm riding an expensive bike and not a horse, and I'm wearing technical clothing instead of a long dress or something, but still.

Happy Monday morning!

We started around the backside with a long long climb up a to Gray Butte. It was snowy in little patches, but a very nice ride up. After turning onto the singletrack the snow pretty much died off and the trail was nice and tacky.



The view looking South towards Bend. The clouds were threatening looking, but it turned out to be pretty temperate weather. I think it was around 45-50 that day.



Giardia Canyon was interesting, very quiet back in there with lots of cool rock formations to look at.



Then we hit the frozen stream and tested the ice. Plenty thick!



You never know when you're going to have to simulate warfare and crawl under fences, that's just the kind of thing that could happen on one of my rides.



The shaded canyon between the two buttes was still frozen and snowy.



Sunday was sunnier and warmer - I think my face got a little tanned! Apparently it's time to drag out the blow up pool toys and float the river because it's supposed to be another warm day!

Happy Monday!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi-D did you guys have a map of the trails at Smith Rock, or just winged it?

Heidi said...

We have one of the Adventure Maps for the Central Oregon area, but some of it we just winged. There are so many more trails out there than are on the map. We find a lot of trails just exploring.

Karianne said...

Your war comment reminded me of something my husband would say. The ride looks like so much fun. I'm glad you are in your gear and not in a long skirt. Way too cold for that and probably not too graceful for a riding a bike.

Happy Monday to you too.

Brent said...

Ok.. seeing these pictures I am really excited to get some riding in!