Monday, June 11, 2007

Successful Race

Saturday we drove down to Ashland and met up with a larger group to do some practice runs of the Super D course. It starts at the Mt Ashalnd ski area up at the top, and the trails go down 4500 feet down by Lithia Park. It's a 12 mile course and we did it twice before retiring to a pizza place for pizza and beers in the evening. I was feeling pretty good about my chances and new I'd have to work like crazy to win the Pro class.

Sunday we headed up to the top and it was completely fogged in and cold up there. I didn't feel much like warming up but forced myself to. I was the first pro woman to go and lined up in the start gate for my 10:38 start. Bam, I was off. I pedaled as hard as I could down the upper double track and tried to keep it tight with no wasted movements. I swung onto the hill climb and gave it my all. It's at least a mile climb and I was going all out. I passed about 5 guys here on the climb and was feeling ok. I don't think I've ever been that tired. After that the course winds through the forest traversing the hillside back and forth...FAST! No problems there. I flew onto the 4 or so mile fireroad stretch and tried to keep it smooth through the gravel corners but had to slow waaay down twice because I was sketchy and felt like I would wipe out.

Next up was the true downhill part of the course. I felt really fast and passed about 4 more guys..including one guy who races with a guide in front of him telling him what to do because he is blind! I saw them ahead and didn't really know what to do. His guide tells him where turns and rocks, trees and roots are so I didn't want to interrupt. I yelled, Rider Back" and there was chaos. After passing them and a couple more guys I was nearing the end of the course and wanted to be safe so I slowed down in the tech section and rode very conservatively.

1st place by 8 seconds! I got a cool personalized award, $100, a shirt, and a map of the Umpqua River Trail. Sweet! I'm completely satisfied and beat my time from last year by 2 minutes I think. Derek did too!

5 comments:

liberry lady said...

Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Nicely done Heidi!

Hack said...

Awesome!!

Anonymous said...

congratulations Heidi!

Anonymous said...

btw the 24solo roxors, you'll enjoy it.
t