Sunday, July 09, 2006

Willamette

The beauty and allure of Central Oregon is there are so many things to go see and do. That's why people move here, myself included. Sorry if I upset anyone with my comments yesterday, I just don't want Bend to continue at too rapid a growth. That said, I've wanted to go ride Willamette Pass for over a month now, but my arm injury has stopped me. Today was the day! The last time I took a lift up to ride my bike was 2004 I think...for the first stage of the Big Bear NORBA race. This isn't just any lift, it's a gondola. I had an awesome time. The trails are all pretty steep off the top, lots of tree riding, drops, logs, fast sections....good fun. I think I did about 6 runs, and one long extended xcish ride around onto the West side of the mountain. I didn't take too many pictures, here are a select few.

Here is the view just a little ways down from the Gondola at the top. That's Odell Lake in the distance.


This was off the back side of the second peak, looking towards Diamond...right before the drop in to a trail called "Dirty Sanchez".




My friend Stu doing rolling a rock.




Me on a fast open section back by disc golf hole #10.



Even if you don't mountain bike, definitely take a trip down there to hike and sightsee. You can even take the lift up to the top and catch the Pacific Crest Trail for a nice day hike. I've also heard the fishing is excellent in Odell Lake - 7-9" trout are snapping like crazy right from the shore. Get out and explore.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

How did you like the sport course?

Heidi said...

I'm not sure I did it from top to bottom, I kept ending up on the Pro/Expert DH course towards the bottom, but, it was all very fun. The trails are really dry and dusty right now of course.

Anonymous said...

Right on! You need to step up to Expert :)

Are you racing this weekend?

Heidi said...

LOL - I've only raced one DH ever. That's the beauty of Willamette, everything is rideable, just at a slower pace if you aren't very good. I'm not sure I'll race, I'm conflicted!

Anonymous said...

There are a few parts of the Expert/Pro course that make me want to pee myself. Yea, I'm not sure if we are coming down. I'm kinda on an XC ridiing kick. I want to get ready for our McKenzine ride.