Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Biketoberfest

Biketoberfest is happening Saturday! I'll be up there helping to build some new trails. These are going to be more "freeride" type trails with some aggressive lines. That sounds good to me! So if you're reading this and weren't planning on going, please come and help...even if it's only for a couple hours. The official work party will be from 9-1. Does beer entice you? Cause it is rumored to be making an appearance there.

Speaking of, yesterday really felt like a Monday. I finished off the day at Deschutes Brewery to celebrate anything. I had a tough day at work, and while I was riding my bike to complete some errands I almost got hit. I was turning into a parkinglot and some really old lady was attempting to pull out. I have ridden thousands of miles and hours on the roads and am extremely defensive so I had a slight inkling that she was going to pull some stupid move so I slowed a bit to be cautious. Then she looks right at me and lurches forward, realizes she isn't going to make it, and slams on her brakes. I do the same, my back tire locks up, the bike starts a dangerous sideways slide though I'm still upright, and then about 5' from her car I pull it back under control and swerve behind her. She was almost crying.

I'm not anti cars, I drive mine once a week to keep it working in fact. I just like to get some free exercise and fresh air - see more of Bend. Moral of the story, watch out if you're on a bike, watch out if you're in a car, watch out if you're walking. We'll make it.

No comments: